Saturday 24 June 2017

My Original Word Processor...


Dad purchased one for me and one for my brother in a Rymans sale back in the 1970s. At full price, they would have been £30 each at the time but dad got them for us for £5 each. He thought they would be a five minute toy for us and for my brother, it was, but I used mine until I purchased my first computer.

I wrote my first short story on it in  1974, aged 9, it was called "Albert Hall's Adventure in Wilderland". I have used it for every story until 2005, when I got my first PC, but I still make a point of typing my poetry on it.

I had it completely overhauled by the excellent George Blackman at Bexhill on Sea. It is amazing to think that I have been using it continually for 46 years!

The Probonid was originally typed up on this and it took me three months of evenings to type it up in electronic format so that I could get it ready for Createspace and Kindle.

I love the modern convenience of my laptop and desktop, but I miss the therapeutic clack clack of typing with this and the swing of the keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment